Depersonalization is characterized by feeling disconnected or detached from one's body and thoughts.
- Recurrent episodes of a distorted perception of the body, such as feeling like being outside of your body or in a dream
- Episodes consist of an awareness that things are not as they appear
- Symptoms cause clinically significant emotional distress and/or functional impairment
Treatment for Depersonalization & Derealization
Depersonalization & Derealization sensations can be extremely uncomfortable and anxiety provoking. The good news is that they can be effectively treated with CBT for Panic Disorder. By applying the principles of cognitive therapy, behavioral therapy, interoceptive exposure and mindfulness you will teach your brain to get unstuck from "feeling unreal" and teach it to return to the present moment and disengage from mental compulsions such as:
- Trying to figure out deep, philosophical questions
- Engaging in checking compulsions to determine if you are in fact real
- Obtaining reassurance from others that "you are ok"
- Researching/googling to figure out what is wrong with you