Understand and manage your public speaking anxiety with effective and practical strategies as well as ‘learning by doing’.
5 Quick Tips to Combat Your Public Speaking Anxiety
- Deep belly breaths. Studies have shown the power of diaphragmatic breathing in lowering the cortisol level in your body (stress hormone). Learn how here.
- Mess up! Yes, you read it correctly. Fear of freezing? Practice freezing in front of your spouse or friend. This takes the ambiguity and power out of the fear.
- Exercise the morning of — this places your nervous energy somewhere useful.
- Meet & Greet – speaking to an unfamiliar crowd is intimidating. Try to make informal conversation with someone prior to presenting, that way you have a friendly, real person to relate to.
- Practice, practice, practice! You can re-train your brain through repetition.